Recent Graduate Overcomes Obstacles

Monday, March 16, 2009


By Dina G. Avvakumova

2-year program graduate (2009)


When I applied to the Penn State University, my superintendent Steve Bruton, a 1992 Penn State graduate, told me that the academic demand and expectations would be extremely difficult to study for a number of reasons. I really did not know what to expect coming from Moscow, Russia, but I came in with an open mind, and the willingness to do whatever it took to succeed.


Penn State is recognized around the world as an innovative and very difficult academic program. I had to develop time management skills to meet the academic demand. Also, I had to overcome the language barrier. I realized how different people communicated with one another during my first classes in September 2007. Yes, it was hard, but I learned how to overcome both challenges and exceed any of my expectations.


I strived to become a better student, a better communicator, but also enjoy my entire Penn State experience. After the first year of the program, I was able to apply class related concepts during my internship at Tseleevo Golf & Polo Club in Moscow. The club is the first Jack Nicklaus golf course in Russia. This was quite an experience, it was reassuring to know the information I learned at Penn State was practical.


Prior to graduation, I was named a recipient of theTrans-Mississippi Turf Scholarship, and the 2009 Duff Shaw Memorial Scholarship for my academic success, extracurricular involvement and internship experience.


I did not begin to realize how much material I learned, and how much I grew as a person and turf manager until I returned to Moscow. I can honestly say, I am very lucky to have lasting relationships with classmates, and instructors. It was such an honor to study under professors like Dr. Watschke and Dr. Turgeon.


I cannot begin to describe how proud I am to be a Penn State alum. I will carry on the lessons I learned at Penn State as a construction/grow-in superintendent at the Metropolitan Golf Club Devyatka, Moscow.


Dina G. Avvakumova recently graduatd from Penn State University’s two-year Golf Course Turfgrass Management Program. She was a past secretary for the Turf Club, and participated in two GCSAA Turf Bowl competitions. Dina can be reached at dina.golf06@gmail.com.

0 comments

Post a Comment

2010 Cutter Cup

Search This Blog

Find us on Facebook

Followers